Ice Fishing Derbies in Sublette County, WY
Page Summary: Derbies are organized by locals but competitors come from far for a chance at great ice fishing and large cash prizes.
Page Index:Boat Club Ice Fishing Derby
Date: First weekend in March
Location: Fremont Lake Lower Boat Landing
$1000 Big Fish Prize both days!
Register Friday night at the Cowboy Bar in Pinedale, or either morning at the event's host, Lakeside Lodge. $30 entry fee includes raffle tickets for door prizes.
- Only freshly caught through the ice and meeting the size limitations, Lake Trout 24" or larger; Brown Trout 16" or larger; Rainbow trout 16" or larger.
- The derby will start at 7 AM. Fish caught prior to 7 AM will result in disqualification and forfeiture of prizes.
- Entrants must have valid Wyoming fishing license and abide by all Wyoming fishing regulations.
- Prizes awarded hourly and daily for biggest fish caught determined by weight. Daily Big Fish $1,000, hourly big fish $100. Youth Daily $100.
- No automobiles or trucks will be allowed to drive or park on ice.
The annual Pinedale Boat Club Ice Fishing Derby has been compared to "a big party" as well as "ice fishing in its purest form," which is not the contradiction it might seem. Camaraderie and good-natured competition are just as important as meditative focus when it comes to two days crouched over an ice-hole on the scenic windy vastness of Fremont Lake. When contestants get restless over slack lines, they jump on snowmobiles and visit the fishermen at other holes to see where the action might be. There are stories and refreshments to be shared and tips to pick up on how to stay warm. Some may even part with hard-earned ice fishing advice.Should the masochistic thrill of freezing while trying to outthink a fish not be incentive enough, the Pinedale Boat Club offers lots of prizes to lure fishermen. A $1000 Big Fish Prize goes to the biggest fish caught on both Saturday and Sunday. There is also day money, dependent on the number of entrants. The largest rainbow and largest German brown (minimums of 14-16 inches) will garner $100 both days. The contestant to catch the monster fish overall receives a free mount from Robert Ray and Sublette Taxidermy, and takes possession of a handsome traveling trophy. Youth prizes for kids under 12 include a $100 derby. Door prizes, including gift certificates, fishing tackle, creels and ice augers, also abound.
Membership in the Pinedale Boat Club costs $15 per person and $30 per family. For the latest details on the ice fishing derby or the Pinedale Boat Club, refer to the Pinedale Boat Club website, contact a Boat Club member from the list below or watch the local newspapers.